market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter Squash Harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter Squash Harvest
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:18:08 -0400

Our winter squash this year all looked like they were dying
early. I thought it might be downy mildew. But then we had a dry
week and fresh green leaves appeared. Now we have tropical storm
gaston and another inch or so of rain, so who knows the fate of the
squash plants now?

I picked up that CONVENTIONAL PRACTICE pumpkin book that Growing for Market is selling this season.
If I read it right, it says that 100degree days will KILL powdery mildew. It also says that it thrives best in weather below 80 and when it is overcast.

This sort of explains why we got it so bad up here in Shepherdstown and why it hasn't really gone away.
Incidentally, I notice the best recovery in vines that DO NOT have fruit, a set back for a guy who wants to select for resistance!!

I'm using the "Kali" bicarb spray this season. Not impressed, so far, but will try it earlier next season.

(sliding off subject) we've had a LOT of fungus this year. We even have it in carrot tops. Anyone know what sort of fungus that is that attacks carrot tops (they turn brown or black and die) ? Or how to remediate it?

Thanks

-Allan Balliett