market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cool Summer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cool Summer
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:45:23 -0400

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:11:33 -0500, you wrote:

>The weeds are so big, we ended up just brush-hogging the spent gardens.
>The gardens looked like jungles because we couldn't get in to weed them,
>it was so wet. One day I lost my boots in the mud and I couldn't pull
>them out - these boots go to my knees. I picked green beans in foxtail
>taller than me.

This is just about the way it is here too (northern
Pennsylvania).

We've given up on keeping up with the weeds this summer. In
the fall, my husband will use the string trimmer to cut
everything down, and we'll remove the debris, then cover the
raised beds with black (or clear) plastic until I'm ready to
plant in them next spring.

This all we *can* do about it, really.

In about 30 years of gardening, I think this is the most
difficult year I have ever had. I had various health
problems all spring, climaxed by fairly major surgery in
early July that kept me entirely out of the garden for three
weeks, and then all the rain.... So I've just about given up
on this year's garden.

Nevertheless, the garden is at least still feeding us:
peppers, tomatoes, summer squash, green beans, chard, cukes,
zucchini, spaghetti squash, basil, a few eggplants. In
spite of everything.

Pat

I felt like I was one big chigger bite! We lost

--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful