market-farming - [Market-farming] Cool Summer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Cool Summer
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:31:27 EDT

Here in western Iowa we had three nights in the low 40's, makes you think we could have an early frost this year.  Being on a river bottom, some years we get hit really early with frost, hope it is not this year.  A lot of our produce is running about 2 to 3 weeks behind this year for us, but maybe I'm just getting old and can't get planted early enough.  Eggplant has been really great this year, whereas last year we had none with the drought and the soybean aphids.  However I just started to pick Melons this week and that is really late for that variety,so go figure.  Tomatoes are really slow coming on this year, only getting about 10 lugs a week whereas last year we were doing that every day, but over all this has been a great year to have all this wonderful rain to keep things coming up and continue growing.  We just plain run out of water last year for things to grow,so I'll take the cool weather and the moisture anytime.  Haven't even had the A/C turned on yet this year.

Phil