market-farming - [Market-farming] Watermelon seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Watermelon seeds
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:45:46 -0400

I'd love to get earlier watermelons. We like Crimson Sweet
best (this is zone 6b). I start seed in soil blocks or plug flats and pop
them out under rowcover as early as I dare. I end up some years losing
loads of transplants to cold and damp before I even get them in the
ground. Other years I struggle to get them planted out before they
outgrow their plugs and get stunted. Does anyone have
recommendations on getting early watermelon with a higher success
rate? We don't much like most of the smaller earlier varieties we've
tried, so I'm looking for techniques rather than varieties here.
Has anyone tried direct sowing of pre-sprouted seeds? If so,
how did it work?
I decided to grow my own seed and select for earliness. Next
challenge - how to rogue the plants and pull the less preferred ones
out. The vines are so enmeshed, it's hard to tell which melons are
attached to which plants. Perhaps I should have rogued at an earlier
stage? Has anyone successfully done this? There's a psychological
barrier for me to overcome too - it's hard to rip out plants after working
hard to keep them alive!
Thanks for your thoughts,
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA