market-farming - [Market-farming] Japanese Beetles and Edemame

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Japanese Beetles and Edemame
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:08:14 -0400

I have the worst infestation of Japanese beetles I've ever seen on my two beds of edible soy beans. I'm talking about solid masses of beetles, maybe two thick on EVERY PLANT on two hundred foot beds. By now, they've skeletized the upper three branches of leaves and seem to be losing interest in the plants.

I've tried several sprays on them, to no avail. Before I spend any more time on fidning something that will actually knock japanese beetles, I thought I'd ask: From your experience, am I going to lose this crop, or, after the beetles have lost interest, will the beans still produce? Plants still look perky, but, man!, are they shredded.

-Allan