market-farming - [Market-farming] conversion factors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] conversion factors
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:18:43 -0700 (MST)

I'd like to know if anyone has conversion factors for manure and compost
going between tons and cubic yards. In Eliot Coleman's book, he
recommends inputs in tons per acre, but I'm only able to acquire such
thing in terms of cubic yards. My simple observation tells me that 1
cubic yard of dry compost seems to be about 1000 pounds (1/2 ton). So if
I want to apply at a rate of 30 tons per acre (60,000 pounds), I'd need to
get about 60 yards. Is that about right? Over an acre, that's only about
1/2 inch deep. Does that make sense? It seems to me that in poor soil
where almost no organic matter exists, I'd want maybe as much as 3 inches
of "the good stuff", disced in maybe a foot deep.

Also, any recommendations on a good cover crop/green manure to improve the
soil would be appreciated. Right now, my thoughts are alfalfa, fescue,
oats, some kind of bean, or clover. It'll grow all winter long and be
disced in with the composted/manure in the spring.

Anyhow, any advice or info would be appreciated. This is all in
preparation for a 2 acre pumpkin/squash patch to be planted May/June 2005,
for a October 2005 harvest.

Thanks,

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce