market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Yellow Nut Sedge

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Yellow Nut Sedge
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:05:54 -0400

Thanks Nan, Bill, Dorene, for your ideas. Bill, I definitely won't bother
trying the black plastic. What about landscape fabric? Do you think
that would prevent the nut sedge breaking through? (I fear it won't!).
Sorghum Sudan won't over-winter here, Nan. Sounds like maybe I
could leave the dead canes standing though, and disk in the spring -
is that what you're suggesting? The areas I'm most concerned about
are a bit small for tractor work. I wonder if I cut the S-S down at 4'
and let it regrow, maybe I could manage with a machete (and
several helpers!). About ducks, Dorene, someone else here is trying
ducks this summer, for the same problem, in a section of herb
garden. I'll follow progress there carefully. Maybe her ducks would
like an extra year of life on a different patch!
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA