market-farming - [Market-farming] Shallots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Shallots
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:19:18 -0400

Friends -

I planted shallots from Dutch Valley (the onion set people) early this spring (or earlier - at the end of February) This is our first year for shallots.

I only realized this weekend how little information I have on these particular shallots. What variety? What day length? And so on.

I'm getting some top diedown. I've got nice clumps of shallots, but any clump only has a couple of shallots of real size. The rest are useable, however. I'm wondering if my shallots are ready for harvest?

I guess that's the question: in your experience, in the Mid-Atlantic (outside of DC), is it possible that shallots are ready to harvest at this time this year?

Thanks

_Allan Balliett
Shepherdstown, WV