market-farming - [Market-farming] A tale of wind and pulling plastic....

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: IdleThymeFarm AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] A tale of wind and pulling plastic....
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:35:39 EDT

After 3 weeks of steady 20+mph today started fairly calm The tomatoes were about to die in the greenhouse from being too rootbound and I was hesitant to pot up again knowing that they needed to be in the ground! The plastic just HAD to get pulled on the high tunnel. So, in my inexperienced wisdom (oxymoron?) I thought to start with the endwalls just in case the infamous Wyoming winds did their thing. And blow they did...about 2/3 of the way through the first endwall. Well, being the stubborn Scot that I am I refused to quit with one endwall. So on to the second endwall in 15 mph winds with 30 mph gusts.  It worked! But pulling plastice over the tunnel was not happening. So, I worked the day in 30-45 mph winds stapling battan tape and installing the door, all in hopes that at sundown the wind would die down (it usually does), inspite of the fact that the weather service was calling for winds of 15-20 through the night. As the evening grew later......7:00, 8:00 I watched anxiously the row cover to see what the wind was doing. It was blowing pretty hard. If 100' of rowcover was taking a beating there was no way the plastice was going on the tunnel. Sigh! And winds are predicted for the rest of the week (this is Wyoming after all). But then, as if by some miracle at 8:30pm the winds stoppped. I thought perhaps it was my own eagerness but no, it was for real, the winds stopped. Quickly, I dialed the phone and two willing CSA families that live within a few miles, dropped their Sunday evening routine to help pull plastic. The air remained calm and by 9:34pm the last piace of wiggle wire was in place and I was hooping and hollering inside a covered tunnel. The beds are all tilled, the drip lines run, and the tomatoes are more than ready to stretch their roots. So thanks to all for your assistance and your inspiration. And thanks to Mother Nature for a break! Blessings!

Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm

www.IdleThymeFarms.com

A place where time stands still, where back to nature is simply a way of life!

  • [Market-farming] A tale of wind and pulling plastic...., IdleThymeFarm, 06/07/2004