market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Filtering Surface Water for drip tape

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Filtering Surface Water for drip tape
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 01:45:52 -0600

We saw a system in use at the Sustainable Agriculture Science Center at
Alcalde.They're using micro sprinklers which saves a lot of water, but the
real beauty of the system is how they get the water clean from the acequias
(basically drainage ditches). It's put into plastic 55 gallon barrels with a
filter system of sand and gravel-that's it! Water goes in the top , goes thru
layers of sand and gravel, and comes out the bottom of the barrel clean for
the micro sprinklers. Ingenious!
They have an excellent pdf of 14 pages that goes into detail about
microsprinklers at:
http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/circ542.pdf
Planning and Operating Pecan Orchards With Drip and Microspray ...
Every year they have a tour/field day in August. This year it's 8/19/2004. I
always make it a point to go there for a days worth of seminars etc. Hope
this helps. If you need any further info I can lookup Ron Walsers contact
info.

Barb