market-farming - [Market-farming] Filtering water for drip tape

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HoeManGray AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Filtering water for drip tape
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 00:53:55 EDT

Allan,
I share your frustration - our irrigation ditch is known as the worst in
Oregon - we get tons of silt off the glacier of Mt. Hood, plus all sorts of
debri
and weed seeds. We filter at our intake valve in the ditch with a screen
(regular screen like a stiff screen door), we have an inline filter for most
of
the garden and I still can't use drip tape. My 1/4" tubing on my poly lines
the emitters gets plugged! I have paperclips stashed everywhere in case I
have
to unplug something.

I'm going to be meeting with a friend who uses media filters and fine
emitters in their orchard. Apparently this system is used in the cane fields
in
Hawaii. As I learn more I'll let you know. If this might work, I may apply
for a
grant, since it would increase water efficiency (i.e. use less water) and
"in-stream flow" for fish, two key items in the west.
Good Luck,
Wendy G. - Oregon cutflower grower

  • [Market-farming] Filtering water for drip tape, HoeManGray, 06/03/2004