market-farming - [Market-farming] Stopping splash up on Lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Stopping splash up on Lettuce
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 07:43:06 -0400

I'm getting lots of sandy splash up on our head lettuce this season. Since we don't like to wash our lettuce, we don't like this much at all.

I've never mulched lettuce because I fear that mulch will increase slug pressure.
I'm afraid that remay will create too much heat. (Man, did someone say thay put remay on the surface of the soil and plant through that??)

How do the rest of you handle this problem? (Gosh, a description of your lettuce washing procedure might be all I need!!)

thanks -Allan