market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Pumpkin Patch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mayapple Farm and Gardens <mayapplefarm AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Pumpkin Patch
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 19:06:11 -0700 (PDT)

I'd target the end of September for pumpking maturity.
End of October and everybody who wants one will have
bought one. Around here folks start decorating about
a month before Halloween. Two or three varieties
might be a good idea, say 10% of the Cinderella coach
variety, 10-20% of a smaller pumpkin, and the rest a
traditional jack-o-lantern type.

I wouldn't begin to pretend to advise you on cultural
practices for your area, but I'd double check on your
spacing. The larger varieties around here need about
around 30 square feet (e.g. 4' spacing between plants
with 7' rows), more without irrigation.

I like to grow transplants for just about all of my
crops, including pumpkins. I'm in the heart of
tobacco country, so I have access to a lot of cast-off
styrofoam float trays.

And don't forget to leave roads through your patch.

Kevin

=====
Krystyna L. Prochocki
Kevin L. Strohmeier