market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Flame Weeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <rjweeks70 AT comcast.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Flame Weeder
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:31:36 -0700

Sandra -

We have two different kinds of flame weeders. When we first started we got one from a garden mail-order catalog (Lee Valley) - it attaches to a small disposable propane tank - either the blue ones or the camp-sized ones. It's a 2-3 foot bent metal tube that hangs the propane tank right under a handle, and then the tube bends and heads down towards the ground. It has an igniter built in to the tube.

That works fine for our yard and for my wife.

This year I got a bigger one called a Red Dragon (I think) that is a wand 2-3' long, with a several foot hose, and it connects to a refillable propane tank. I put the tank in our garden cart, pull the cart behind me while flaming. It has a much bigger nozzle - a few inches wide, and has a flame almost a foot long.

Roger Weeks