market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Animal power

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Beth Spaugh <eas9 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Animal power
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 22:08:26 -0400

Subscribe to "Small Farmer's Journal" and find some folks within a couple hours of you who use mules/horses to learn from.

http://www.smallfarmersjournal.com/

At 07:22 AM 5/22/2004 -0600, you wrote:
Liz mentioned this, so I will ask. Anyone on this list using cattle or
horses for draft power? I would like to get into draft power. I hate gas
powered engines due the noise, smell, and the fuel costs!!

I am in the process of training my mule to pull logs for firewood and a
stoneboat for feeding hay in winter.

I do visit the Rural Heritage Magazine website. I will be getting the
magazine soon. And I belong to a few draft lists. I bought a great draft
horse book. I also have several years of Mule Magazine someone gave us.

Don't caution me on the labor, time, and harness costs. I have done my
research. I know this is feasible and will help double my work output.
This is also supposed to be my "stress-relief" as working with this mule
tends to be for me. The mule was cheap, and I have quite a bit of the
equipment/tack. I can build or have built most equipment cheaply except for
the work harness and collar.

I know some techniques and have progressed okay. I just want to get further
ahead on training before hubby's back decides more tractors and smelly
machines should be around the place!

Christina