market-farming - [Market-farming] One more tomato trellis question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <rjweeks70 AT comcast.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] One more tomato trellis question
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:38:10 -0700

Thanks to all of you who've suggested different tomato trellis techniques. I wish I could afford the number of stock panels that I would need for all my rows of tomatoes, but it's not cost effective for me...

One last question on the subject. I'm considering either doing the stake and twine method, where you run twine between stakes, set every other plant or so, starting 8-12" above the ground, and progressivly "wrapping" the plant as it grows; or what I've seen termed as the "english method" where you set heavier stakes 10-15' apart, run heavy gauge wire at the top, reinforce the rows with guy wire and stakes at the end, and tie a string to the wire to let the tomatoes climb.

Any comments or suggestions on which one of these is easier/better/worse/awful? The second method surely means less stake driving, but seems to require more plant training.

Roger Weeks