market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Recipe Handouts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Recipe Handouts
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 20:22:58 EDT

In a message dated 5/12/2004 4:56:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time, SAndrews AT AcademicBookServices.com writes:
Does anyone have any recipes to add that would use any of the following;

mint
Sorry to be so long with this one and thanks, Shirley for good-sounding recipes!
The only recipe I have for mint besides jelly is a Lebanese salad:
TOMATO SALAD

2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes
1 cup finely chopped sweet mild (Vidalia type) onions
2 cups Pita or Lebanese bread torn into 1" pieces*
1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
dress with a lemon-olive oil dressing

*  we sometimes substitute believe it or not!  leftover fried okra!  More American, dontcha know and really delicious!

To honor the harvest of the first row of new red potatoes, I developed and am handing out this recipe.  Amazing how people are going back and grabbing up a few more potatoes!

POTATO STEW

2 SLICES BACON
SMALLISH FRESH ONION WITH TOP, CHOPPED
½ STALK CELERY, CHOPPED
2 CUPS (LEFTOVER) GOOD MASHED POTATOES
4 CUPS NEW POTATOES, BOILED, PEELED AND CUT UP
2 TSP CHICKEN BOUILLON PASTE OR 2 CUBES
GENEROUS GRINDING OF BLACK PEPPER
4 CUPS MILK

SAUTE THE BACON AND REMOVE, COOK THE ONION AND CELERY IN THE FAT UNTIL TENDER BUT DO NOT BROWN.  SEASON WITH THE BLACK PEPPER.  STIR IN A LITTLE OF THE MILK AND THEN THE MASHED POTATOES.  ADD THE BOUILLON AND DISSOLVE.  ADD THE REST OF THE MILK AND BRING TO A SIMMER, STIRRING FREQUENTLY.  ADD IN THE CUT UP POTATO AND THE BACON, CRUMBLED.  HEAT GENTLY UNTIL WARM  BUT DO NOT BOIL.  CHECK FOR SEASONING.  SERVE WARM OR COLD, BUT NOT REALLY HOT.  GARNISH WITH THINLY SLICED GREEN ONION STEM.
Bon appetit!
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm