market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] germinating lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Guthrie" <dguthrie AT egyptian.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] germinating lettuce
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:09:43 -0500

Maybe that's why my grandfather always planted lettuce on Valentines day ( I
don't know the zone, but its southern midwest area) and covered the area
with boards. The boards were removed after germination.

I still use boards each spring. This year the weather was frost/warm
cyclical more often and the early lettuce was bitter. Can anyone tell me
why?

David Guthrie
dguthrie AT egyptian.net