market-farming - [Market-farming] New farm from old

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jeff Snyder" <snyderjs AT pathwaynet.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] New farm from old
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 02:30:23 -0400

Hello from a lurker and infrequent poster in west-central Michigan (zone
4-5).

I have enjoyed and benefited from most of the discussions read on this list.
And now I have need of some collective input from this group, if you have
the time and inclination. I live on a 60 acre farm, originally purchased by
my Grandfather in the early 30's, farmed continually by him, my Dad and I
until selling the last of the beef cattle a few months before Dad died in
2000. It has been used to raise some of the finest and most well-known
registered, polled Herefords in three counties, along with their feed and a
few cash crops, mostly corn and excess hay. Originally a full 120 acres,
some of the less tillable acres have been sold over the years for my
parent's expenses. Land prices, for small residential parcels (2-4 acres)
are very seductive in this area, and have provided my mother with the new
vehicle and other home and farm maintenance funds she's needed since my
dad's passing. She is extremely reluctant to sell any of it, but dad
specifically set aside certain parcels for this.

My name is on the deed of 40 acres (what we call the home farm), now being
leased to a local, large crop farm (beans, potatoes, corn, wheat and rye)
that takes very good care of the soil, with minimal tillage and returning as
much organic matter to the soil as possible with their methods. I have first
option to add the other 20 acres later, before my siblings gain possession
of it with the right to sell. My home is also on this original 40, and my
mother lives next door (close to the grandkids). At present I have a 1/2
acre garden, have gardened successfully for many years with very limited
inorganic inputs and shared excess bounty with friends and retirement
centers. I am breaking up 1 1/2 acres for organic, or at least naturally
grown, production of vegetables and eventually some fruits. I will have
irrigation available (1" water line with branches and frost-proof valves at
various locations around both plots). The new plot has sustained only cattle
and pasture for over ten years, so I'm turning under some substantial sod.
Sadly this farm now produces no manure of its own, and the reserves have
been depleted since the last cows were sold, but I am able to obtain enough
from two neighbors (one's a cousin) in the spring. The addition of new
livestock in the future is not out of the question, as I have a pond for
water during the warmer months, and enough land for pasture and feed crops,
if I can spare the time from vegetable farming to put it up.

I have had the Cooperative Extension Agent walk the farm with me and make
some recommendations, and have begun reforesting an old seven-acre hayfield
too hilly to plow. My intention is to grow a wide variety of vegetables
(salad greens and garden staples for starters), some fruits (strawberries,
blueberries, pears, seedless grapes) and perhaps some kind of livestock,
though "once a cattleman always a cattleman" rings true for me. Yes I know
first-hand how labor intensive feeding them can be. I'd also like to grow
transplants for local gardeners, and have a large annual supply of native
black walnuts to market. This soil produces amazing asparagus, cabbage,
carrots, sweet corn, tomatoes and winter squash. Other crops need a little
more nurturing, but perform well. I've only mulched with bales of hay
(plentifully available) and they've worked well.
Still have a couple hundred loose bales in the barn. This year I split the
garden into tilled and standing rye areas ( for next years seed). The new
plot is intended for rotational cropping with interim cover crops. Still
working on the initial layout.

There is a small farmers market in my hometown of Greenville (not certain if
it's "Producers only") with three or four vendors, one or two in Grand
Rapids (pop. 250,000, about 30 minutes away) and a few more in medium to
large cities within a two-hour drive. Less than a mile east of my farm is a
large orchard (with U-Pick, bakery, cider mill, maze and other attractions)
that is very active in promotional and tourism marketing. He resells some
produce and products (honey, jams & jellies, gifts)(no pears), some of which
are locally grown, within a ten mile radius. The owner is extremely
community-minded. While I could sell surplus produce to him, I prefer to
market it myself freshly picked. While he is active in late August through
December, his customers come primarily for the U-pick and family activities.
I believe his orchard will also draw some customers to my farm as well (they
must drive by my road to get there), and he will advertise my location and
available products. In fact we have shared equipment over the years, mostly
his 3-point 6' tiller and my 70 hp Allis Chalmer tractor (the older ones
hold up better than the newer Agco's), and have a good working relationship.

My farm is on a well maintained, paved road one mile off a main highway,
less than five miles from my hometown of nearly 20,000, and I have a good
reputation as a respected farmer in this area. I have most of the original
haying equipment (the rake is no more), the previously mentioned Allis with
loader, a Farmall M that refuses to give up (brought to the farm brand new
in 1953), with its mid-mounted 4-row cultivator, a 4-bottom plow, 10' disc,
10' drag (spring-tooth), 10' chisel plow, 4-row corn planter and ancient
McCormick grain drill on steel wheels (still works like new). Also have a 5
hp rear-tine walk-behind garden tiller, various hand tools and a Chevy
pickup truck. Additional equipment may be necessary, as is a greenhouse, for
my purposes. This group has given me a good list to start with, including
irrigation, hoop- and greenhouses, potato diggers (we used to have an old
one-row chain digger) and other necessities. However I am undecided about
the perils of starting out as a CSA. In this climate and without greenhouse
or hoophouse I'm limited to 12-16 weeks production this year, none of which
would be fruit (until next year). I can count on a minimum of ten families
from my church to purchase shares, and about half of my wife's thirty piano
students. If grown intensively I believe I can supply that many with two
acres. I'm just uncertain about setting it up, how much to charge, whether
to offer u-pick or not and at what rate. I'm also without startup capital,
having been laid off from my previous employer since August of 2003. That's
really my motivation to start out as a CSA. I also have two other small farm
growers who have livestock and no clue how to market them in this way. Too
many years of taking them to the market auction and taking what they got
(been there, done that).

I'm sort of in a position, poised on the brink, to organize three or more
small farms into one locally grown market. No reason why someone stopping to
buy my sweet corn, peppers, onions and tomatoes can't also pick up some
organically grown beef or chicken to grill them with. I'm excited about this
whole "vision" for my community, providing excellent food for local people,
the school system (I've read some success stories), and two local food
co-ops (one has a pick up location just down the street).

I am a CAD draftsman by trade, an electrician and builder by re-training and
experience, but a farmer by heredity and spirit. Being here all day, while
unemployed, I have renewed my connection to this land, sweat and bled on it
while prepping it for this season, and basically proven to myself and family
that this is what I was meant to do. I am fully convinced of the values of
sustainable agriculture, local marketing and giving, and community
participation at varying levels. And yet something keeps getting in my way
of starting. The land is ready, prospective customers are ready, even my
family is ready. I probably even have enough information to get started. I
know it sounds like I'm over endowed with blessings, and I don't disagree.
Maybe it's the lack of a paying job that's holding me back. Certainly the
lack of money for seeds and fuel (and household bills) is a contributing
factor. While I have all of this information available in my head (I have a
great memory), and some of the plans already envisioned and active, and a
seemingly ample market, I need a more concrete plan of implementing all of
this. That's where I can use your help. Please help me figure out how to
organize this into reality. You all come from such diverse locations and
experience that I couldn't just send this to any one of you.

Whew! Thanks for listening. I appreciate every attempt on my behalf, and
apologize for the lengthy introduction. Thanks.

Jeff Snyder
(no official farm name yet)
---