market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] unsustainable organic farming/ was organic seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: IdleThymeFarm AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] unsustainable organic farming/ was organic seeds
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:00:27 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/2004 1:19:06 AM Mountain Daylight Time, tradingpost AT gilanet.com writes:
My crime apparently is simply pointing out that the federal standards do NOT require any "soil fertility program" or crop rotation, and do NOT require sustainable practices to build soil health. When people claim they are "required" to do that, they are not required by the federal organic standards, only by the need to rebuild their soil (or possibly by state organic standards), which is simply not the same thing as a federal requirement, and this shows a basic flaw in the federal organic program.
I am done with this petty debate. Read the standards for yourself. Here is the link. http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/NOP/standards/FullText.pdf Check page 45-47. The NOP is not flawless however the flaws that Paul points out are addressed in the final rule. I need to get back to the business of farming.

Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm

www.IdleThymeFarms.com

A place where time stands still, where back to nature is simply a way of life!