market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] unsustainable organic farming/ was organic seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: IdleThymeFarm AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] unsustainable organic farming/ was organic seeds
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 20:40:36 EDT

In a message dated 5/5/2004 5:23:50 PM Mountain Daylight Time, tradingpost AT gilanet.com writes:
The fact is, federal standards don't require anybody to replenish the life of the soil with organic fertilizers, earthworms, etc. etc.
I completely disagree with this. I am REQUIRED to have a soil fertility program including the use of green manure crops. I am also required to maintain an intensive rotation program on all 120 fields to prevent disease. Look, I do not want to be controversial but it does not sound like you are completely familiar with the standards. I am not a "certified organic" purist. I support everyone where they are, but accusing certified organic farmers of farming unsustainably is just plain wrong. Every certified organic farmer that I know is constantly working to increase soil fertility utilising the above mentioned techniques and a slew of others. Please stop the bashing of people who choose to be certified.

Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm

www.IdleThymeFarms.com

A place where time stands still, where back to nature is simply a way of life!