market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: cattle panel hoophouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: cattle panel hoophouses
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 17:32:05 -0600

We have built one hoophouse with cattle panels. We are about to build
another. The first house is made from the panel bent over and link side by
side. We are thinking of putting a panel up to a "ridgepole" and then
another on the other side. Two panels meeting end to end at the ridgepole
to double the width of our hoophouse. The final hoophouse will only be
about 15' long.

Has anyone done it this way? Does it work well? Is there problems with the
sheeting tearing at the ridge area? What about snow weight on the "ridge".
Yes, I know how to support the ridge correctly. Just want to hear of
others' experiences before making an expensive mistake.

I must say, I love my small hoophouse! It is something we should have done
long ago. Worth every penny!

Christina