market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: The Use of Chemical Fertilizers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jasperm1 <jasperm AT iquest.net>
  • To: "Market garden list" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: The Use of Chemical Fertilizers
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 16:07:19 -0500

market-farming-request AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

>Thanks. I didn't think this was an organic-growers-only
>list, actually. If it is, someone should tell me, please.

I have to admit I was getting confused on that point trying to follow
this thread, but the mail items seem to be labeled Market-farming vs. the
Organic list I belong to which gets labeled organichomesteadinggardening.

The two things I am trying to develop aptitude in as I lose interest in
balancing books are gardening/farming and woodworking.

I look forward to a day when I can take a section of a windblown tree and
convert it into something useful with only my sledges, wedges, froes, bow
saws, frame saws, draw knives, spoke shaves, planes, chisels, hand
scrapers, brace and bits. With each project I find a way to do a little
more of this and that by hand, and use the powered equipment less and
less but I would still be trying to complete my first project without
purchased lumber, a table saw, air driven palm sanders and a router and
more likely would have given up long ago in frustration.

I hope to someday have an ever improving self sustaining tilth and
fertility on my property and be growing enough produce atleast to provide
for my family and a small market of buyers, yielding a product that is
unmatched in palatability and nutrition. For the time being however I am
going to irrigate and sometimes fertilize as interim steps to produce
better than I can generally buy in the grocery store working towards that
ultimate goal. Hopefully any additive will be based on a real analysis
of the needs of my soil to grow the crop in question and not a throw a
bunch of chemicals against the wall and hope for the best basis.

Back to lurking. Well first a tip of my hat to those already there
either in the woodworking or the gardening. Your success shows me it can
be done. The real problem is to see if I can ever become talented enough
to do as well.

Mike

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
--George Orwell

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
--Benjamin Franklin