market-farming - [Market-farming] mushrooms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] mushrooms
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 12:38:41 -0700 (MST)

I heavily mulch my vegetable beds with straw and/or hay, whichever is at
hand. In the desert where I live, evaporation is a big problem and I've
pretty much solved it with this kind of mulching.

Anyhow, I've noticed that I have some mushrooms coming up from underneath
the mulch, and I'm wondering if this is an indicator of anything BAD,
like:

1. too much moisture
2. soil is good for mushrooms, bad for veggies
3. some other doom

So my broader question is about learning about soil conditions from the
plants (or other things) that grow there. What does mushroom growth tell
me about my soil and/or my growing conditions?

Thanks,

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce