market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] mushrooms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: IdleThymeFarm AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] mushrooms
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 17:40:12 EDT

Matt,
I am in the high desert and we get very little rain and have very hot sun and intense winds so I too use alot of straw mulch. I almost always have mushrooms growing from my mulch and have never experienced any negative effects. As a matter of fact if I remember correctly from all of my soil studies this winter, the fungi is healthy for the soil. Wait until you have grown on these beds with all the mulch for a few seasons, you will notice a massive difference in your soil. The straw mulch also contributes to the microbial life in your soil. I would not grow without it!

Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm

www.IdleThymeFarms.com

A place where time stands still, where back to nature is simply a way of life!