market-farming - [Market-farming] out-of-season asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Frederick.Crowley AT valley.net (Frederick Crowley)
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org, Frederick.Crowley AT valley.net (Frederick Crowley)
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] out-of-season asparagus
  • Date: 04 May 2004 21:27:56 EDT

-------Pat wrote-----(Asparagus) will stay at that price for about, maybe,
six weeks, costing more before and after the six weeks and eventually
disappearing from our stores until the next year.
-------and Bridgett wrote-----FYI, A lot of the "off season" fresh asparagus
that we get in our stores and restaurants comes from Chile.
=======
For several years now I've been growing asparagus for fall harvest. The trick
is to have dedicated beds for spring and fall respectively. With traditional
spring cutting, one "drains" the root reserves first, and then allows the
plant the remainder of the growing season to replenish. For an out-of-season
crop, a separate bed is managed "the other way around", by growing first, and
harvesting later, leaving, of course, enough root reserves to come back next
spring. I clear cut the asparagus in mid August (I am in Vermont), which is
early enough for the plant to "want" to grow back , and it is these shoots
that I harvest. In truth, the spears are not as tender as in the spring, they
are a bit more sparse, and they "bolt" (or branch out) a bit more quickly,
but what the heck...I've got asparagus for a second season.

Fred Crowley
Vermont

  • [Market-farming] out-of-season asparagus, Frederick Crowley, 05/04/2004