market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Scape Recipes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Scape Recipes
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:11:06 -0400

More scape recipes/ideas

Roasted scapes are incredibly good and simple to make

Take a bunch of scapes and put them in a covered roasting pan with a bit of olive oil and kosher or seas salt and roast at 400˚F for 30 to 40 minutes

Pickled garlic scapes

make a brine and bring to a boil
I use the dill pickle brine recipe in the Joy of Cooking. It's basically salt, vinegar (I like rice vinegar but apple cider is nice also. haven't tried balsamic but it might be good too) and water.
have clean hot quart jars and lids ready to go

Pack as many scapes into each jar (can usually get over a pound in a jar) as you can. Push then down into the jar hard.

add a table spoon of a good curry powder than cover the scapes and curry with hot brine.

Put the hot clean lids on than boil in a water bath for 15 minutes.

I have been making pickled scapes for 7 years. A great way to have scapes year 'round

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
http://www.boulderbelt.com