market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mark in Kentucky

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mark A Abner <wizard1 AT kih.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mark in Kentucky
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:49:19 -0400

Hey I know where abouts that is : ) I used to know some folks out on Flat
Marry road out side of Campton though I havent been out that way in ages. Yep
ag diversity is slow comeing to eastern KY but folks are starting to brinch
out and explore alternitives though so many options of crops are limited by
reachable markets.
Too many years of tobacco being the only crop counted on to pay the bills
and peopel being paid to land bank what they had in corn and other small
grains along with stagnet market prices corn is actualy bringin less than it
did 25 years ago but the cost of growing bushel sure has gone up. Not to
mention so much of eastern KY is just not suited for annyal crops of any kind
because of erosion. It is very hard but if folks can get focused on
regionalizeing the food they buy there is hope for both the grower and the
consumer in areas like eastern KY.
I think the idea of extending the CSA idea to contract producing hogs
beef and chicken or even farmed fish to individuals could be a practicle way
to gain and retain local maket for comunities while helping gaurantee that
consumers are getting meats that they know something about add in some
perinieal crops that can be havested every year or multiple times a year
without the expence or errosion damage of annual plowing, and you may find a
combination that is workable and sustainable.

Mark