market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] oak laaves.... burn or bury

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Janet Bachmann <janetb AT ncat.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] oak laaves.... burn or bury
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:46:05 -0500

What a great resource!  I get leaves from a neighbor when I have time to collect them from a huge pile they made.  The leaves are slightly chopped by their lawn mainenance equipment, which makes them even better than unchopped, in my opinion.  I use them for mulch in the beds or in the walk ways.  The leaves seem to work just as well as, or better than, some other organic mulches, especially for keeping weeds from growing.   I till them in only if I need to till the bed for planting.  Let the worms do the tilling, otherwise.
Janet Bachmann
Fayetteville, AR

Mark Ritter wrote:
I hope this message makes it to the board.... been having some problems... anyways... I have a ton of oak leaves that are in piles in different areas of my gardens.. in the past i have burned them, but was considering rototilling them into some of my beds this year as my soil is very heavy in clay... i have burnt them the last 3 years... anyone have any comments on this... ... Mark
www.botanikka.com