market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "John Wages" <jwages AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Tillers
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:25:07 -0700

I have to confess to not following this thread recently, so forgive me if
I'm repeating something someone else has said. Joel Dufour of Earth Tools
in Frankfort, KY, deals in BCS. He's very knowledgeable about what's out
there, both BCS and non-BCS attachments, and he's pro-active in finding new
attachments like the rotary plow (in previous messages to the list, I've
noted its utility in our heavy clay soil). The Earth Tools website is
http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/. We've had a 946 for a little over 2 years
and have been very happy for the most part. The only thing I'd do
differently in retrospect is get one of the smaller models. One concern is
poor traction, but that comes from the nature of the tractor---it just
doesn't weigh enough to give good traction to pull, for example, a moveable
chicken house on skids, or to push (hence, the dozer blade is practically
useless). So, if traction is a consideration, you may want to look at
steel cage wheels. The 946 is a workhorse, though, and I recommend talking
with Joel Dufour.

John Wages
Calceterra Farm
Tupelo, MS