market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Tillers
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:50:35 -0400

April asks:> If you have a TroyBilt or BCS reartine
tiller, could you tell me
> what
> you love or hate about it. Thanks!
We have a 7hp Troybilt Horse rear-tine tiller, without
electric start. I like it well enough. It can handle quite
luxuriant weed growth, and can even incorporate
standing corn stalks, with 3 passes over one row at
a time. I'm 51 and 5' 5", pretty fit, if that helps your
deciding what size of machine you want. I do get
back aches from too much tilling, especially if it's
really rocky or I'm making furrows.
We have the hiller-furrower attachment, which
we use for potatoes, 2000 row feet at a time. Also
for raised bed aisles. We have the next-row marker
too, but I won't recommend that. Expensive, and an
extra heavy weight at the back of the tiller. Plus, you
need either damp soil or very well tilled soil, to see
the marks. They fade quickly in hot weather!
We use the tiller around 2-6 hours each week,
and have had to replace bearings and seals every
few years. Someone being more vigilant about
maintenance might not have that problem. One
thing I like is that Troybilt (now owned by some other
company), makes cusom hardened tines. We have
quartzite rocks in our soil and have to replace the
hardened tines every 10 months. The unhardened
ones only last a few months.
If I was buying new right now, I'd look seriously
at the BCS. I'm unsure how good the Troybilt buyout
company is going to be on technical support and
parts supply.
I think there was info on tillers on this list a
while ago - have you tried the archives?
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, Virginia