market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fw: [SANET-MG] Innovative pest management

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fw: [SANET-MG] Innovative pest management
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:57:06 -0500 (CDT)

Heh, I made an interesting discovery the other day...

My Florida Broadleaf Mustard went to seed about a month ago. With 16
plants, I'm going to have enough seeds to plant for the next thousand
years! LOL!

Anyhow, I was disturbed to see that about 2 weeks ago that aphids have
found a home amoungst the flower clusters. Big masses of aphids!

I was bothered by this, but I decided not to do anything about it. If it
made the aphids happy then so be it. I'm a big believer of letting nature
take care of itself becuase it knows better than I do. If a "problem"
like this arizes, it's becuase something has gone wrong and nature's
trying to take care of it.

Three days ago I noticed that quite a few sparrows and finch were spending
time in the mustard -- I didnt' think much of it, I just figured they
liked the cover. Yesterday morning, I finally saw what they were
*actually* doing: they were eating all the aphids!

In about 3 days they've totally cleaned out the aphids, and the "problem"
no longer exists!

My jaw is still flopping on the ground in amazement.

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce