market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Nolo bait

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Nolo bait
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:04:36 EDT

In a message dated 4/12/2004 8:01:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, wiediger AT msn.com writes:

those nasty little hoppers are terrible on the lettuce in our tunnels!

A few years ago when the hoppers were eating everything, we wanted to have something to eat ourselves even if there was nothing to sell.  We put shade cloth on our tunnel all the way to the edges to make it bug proof when the plastic comes off in the spring.  That's when we bought the chickens and then the guineas.  BTW, we drove down to Ideal Poultry to pick up the day old guinea keets, going right thru Crawford, TX.  The hoppers were parting in waves on the road!  so I guess even George W has hopper problems!
http://www.ideal-poultry.com/

The problem with nolo is that you can apply it on your land, but the hoppers will just move in from the neighbors' land.  It just wasn't feasible for us - our 20 acres of gardens are surrounded by 400 acres of our pasture on one side and about a thousand acres belonging to the city on the other.  Ergo, the flocks who would rather eat hoppers than anything.

There are stories about peach trees denuded overnight, leaving bare branches with just the pits hanging, houses stripped of paint.  They ate our asparagus ferns to the ground (we have our first decent crop this year) and chewed holes in the window screens.  It is a great relief for us to have them under control.  The birds eat the tiny ones as they emerge from the soil and then get mature hoppers that come in from elsewhere.
Wendy Akin
Texas