market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Alternative to Frontline

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Alternative to Frontline
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:00:34 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/2004 5:23:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time, rbfarr AT erols.com writes:

Can anyone recommend a safe (and preferably organic) alternative.

Yes, there are excellent alternatives using essential oils.  I would suggest a mixture of pennyroyal, eucalyptus and sweet orange oil.  you can mix this in equal portions and add about 1 ounce to 32 ounces of basic doggie shampoo.  don't use human shampoo on dogs.  in between shampoos, you can put just a bit of some kind of oil - olive, canola, whatever, just not mineral - in your hand, add a couple drops of the essential oil and do a quick rub.  I would think that herbs such as pennyroyal, creeping thyme, etc would grow well for you.  start a couple flats and plug them into your yard, pref where the dogs like to hang out and sleep.  Pennyroyal is not recommended for cats or young puppies - substitute melissa.

The guinea fowl solution is also a good one, but yes they will challenge predators.  Their little brains are smaller than peas, after all!  Ours line up and scream at coyotes.  We lose several every year and replace them to keep the mob at about 30.  They will roost in a tree, so if you can provide a pen around a tree, they'll live longer.  They will also entertain you and visitors to your farm.

Wendy Akin
Texas