market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fw: New Tractor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Eastex Farms <eastexfarms AT direcway.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fw: New Tractor
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 20:10:18 -0500

Willie Wrote:

> I like it pretty well. I'm not using the belly cultivator. With low
> crops, a 3pt cultivator is easier and more reliable. The IH144
> cultivator is apparently supposed to have four double spring shanks. I
> was missing one and at least one other was broken. I ordered some from
> a IH dealer, but haven't seen them. I adapted some rigid shanks and
> haven't gotten them shaken out yet. Do you have the IH144? If so, how
> is it set up?
>
> I also need to get it widened; need to find a place to lift the whole
> rear end up.
>
> It is almost new condition. You'll find some photos at
> http://austinfarm.org/homegrown/images under batch 7.
>
> I don't like the chore of climbing up on it and I don't like the
> flimsy fenders. The cylinder for the belly cultivator leaks down, so
> when I'm not using it I have to block it up. Does yours stay up? I'd
> rather have a centered, that is not offset, tractor. Of course, the
> crop clearance is great, though this year's crops are still low. When
> the crops get higher, I'll take off the 3pt and work on the belly
> cultivator. I'm sure I'll grow to love it.

I do have the 144 cultavator, Mine is set up for 4 plows 2 each side. Looks
like your is set up for six. This was an option I think. I keep my wheeles
set at the 45" mark we try and do about 48" rows.
My cultavator does not leak. I put a kit in the cylinder (easy to do) got it
from IH Case. They also have the operators manual for tractor and the
cultavator. You can lift the tractor from the back center, to change the
wheels setting. Place a shim under the front axel so it won't pivet. (one
each side) Then the tractor won't rock when you lift it. When cultavating
with the 144 you can lift and lower the plows as needed it is very fast. You
can also see what you are doing with ease. I take the two inter plows and
cut the inside half of the sweep off. This way I can run right up next to my
plants. I will take some close up photos and send you. Enjoyed the tour of
your site. Later bill