market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fw: New Tractor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fw: New Tractor
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:22:20 -0500

> > Willie, lets hear more about your new tractor. You been plowing spinach?
> > Tools working Ok for your set up?. Just wondering. Bill

I like it pretty well. I'm not using the belly cultivator. With low
crops, a 3pt cultivator is easier and more reliable. The IH144
cultivator is apparently supposed to have four double spring shanks. I
was missing one and at least one other was broken. I ordered some from
a IH dealer, but haven't seen them. I adapted some rigid shanks and
haven't gotten them shaken out yet. Do you have the IH144? If so, how
is it set up?

I also need to get it widened; need to find a place to lift the whole
rear end up.

It is almost new condition. You'll find some photos at
http://austinfarm.org/homegrown/images under batch 7.

I don't like the chore of climbing up on it and I don't like the
flimsy fenders. The cylinder for the belly cultivator leaks down, so
when I'm not using it I have to block it up. Does yours stay up? I'd
rather have a centered, that is not offset, tractor. Of course, the
crop clearance is great, though this year's crops are still low. When
the crops get higher, I'll take off the 3pt and work on the belly
cultivator. I'm sure I'll grow to love it.

We are due to get to the lower 40s in the next few days. You will
probably be cooler than that. I have about 2 acres of tomatoes out and
a few of my Conchos jalapenos out. Potatoes, onions, and blackberries
look very good; photos at above URL. No photos of tomatoes or peppers
yet. I spent the whole day on the 274 today, cultivating onions,
potatoes and some other stuff; I plan to post new crop photos probably
Sunday. What are ya'll doing up there? I'm on my way out to try to dig
a few potatoes for tomorrow's market.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html