market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Food enough for all.....

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Food enough for all.....
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:18:14 -0500

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:56:41 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>> Why should it concern a market farmer? Unemployed people
>> often cannot afford to buy local or organically-grown food
>> or, indeed, many fresh vegetables and fruits at all.
>
>On this note...any other Farmer's Market managers out there, does anyone
>know what it takes to set up a market to be able to accept Food Stamps or
>the WICK program? Also for those interested check out Seattle Tilth's
>community garden program.

Info on becoming authorized to accept Food Stamps is here:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/retailers/default.htm

For the WIC FNMP (Farmers Market Nutrition Program) and the
Senior Citizen FNMP, I believe you get the info from your
state's Department of Agriculture. I know that - in
Pennsylvania - it's the PA Dept. of Agriculture that
administers this.

Pat