market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] A Riddle ...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] A Riddle ...
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 08:27:46 -0500

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:30:21 EST, you wrote:

>Definitely nitrogen deficiency. Plants are stunted, have poor 2ndary shoot
>development and have chlorotic foliage, especially from the base leaves
>first.
>Ordinarily, subsequent leaves become narrow and stiff, but maybe the stems
>of
>your kale became stiff when no more leaves emerged.

You know, I was thinking about Matt's problem last night
while I was watching TV.

He's used the same growing medium before with success. But
suppose the manufacturer of the growing medium changed the
formulation this year - probably as a 'cost-cutting
measure'?

Maybe it used to have time-release plant food and now it
doesn't, or now the amount of time-release plant food has
been reduced compared to the amount it used to have.

This would explain it nicely.

I'll stick with soilless mix and applying the plant food
myself.

Pat