market-farming - [Market-farming] Growing sesame

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <miranda AT tagoresmith.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Growing sesame
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:08:28 -0500

I've grown sesame-it's gorgeous and also easy to grow. However, the seed
pods shatter easily--even those advertised as resistant to shattering.
So you have to stay on top of the harvesting or, and I think this is
easier, enclose the almost-dry spikes of seed pods in brown paper bags.
Use cotton or bunched up strips of row cover material as a "gasket" at
the bottom of the bag to catch falling seeds and twistees or rubber
bands to tightly close the bags. Bend the stalks over when you want to
check to see if they're ready to harvest and just cut off the seed
stalks, bag still attached, when it's time. --This system prevents your
losing the precious seeds.

Miranda Smith