market-farming - [Market-farming] Growing Sesame

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Growing Sesame
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:31:04 -0500

Pam wrote:

I'm in central Virginia, zone 6b,
and I'm trying 100 or so sesame plants this
season. I read about it in a book on growing
Chinese vegetables. Sounded relatively
straight forward. I got some seeds from the
pantry and germinated them with heat....

I've never grown sesame (although I'd like to), but Thomas Jefferson grew it all the time and you can buy seeds from Monticello. I saw the plants when visiting and dear old Tom wasn't doing anything special -- they were out there growing (although very tall) like any other plant in the garden. If you are near Monticello, you should be able to grow sesame, too. You might check out the Monticello website and if they don't have anything written there about how Tom grew sesame, just e-mail the gardeners/groundkeepers -- they are very friendly, like heirlooms and probably could give you tips on how they do it.

Dorene
Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of