market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Thyme

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex Mcgregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Thyme
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:22:37 -0500

Marie,

I don't know if it's the best, but I have a prostrate type of thyme- it
grows along the ground and spreads by rooting instead of upright with a
woody stem. The benefit I've found with this is that I got a small start
from someone else and now have major patches of ground cover- more thyme
being produced with very little effort than I can sell.

I harvest it with grass shears- very easy- without slowing down the growth
of the patch. And it smothers out most weeds and forms a solid carpet.
When it starts encroaching on other areas, I cut up chunks of it like sod.
These large chunks I sell or give to people to cut into small clumps or
plant as is to establish it as a ground cover. Or I cut these chunks into
pieces and pot them for plant sales at the market in spring.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm