market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Farmers' Mkt.Vending Rules

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "The Radfords" <tarheels AT pahrump.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Farmers' Mkt.Vending Rules
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:33:58 -0800

> It's worth noting here that at least in California, farmer's markets are
certified by the state, and each grower who sells at markets much have a
"producer's certificate" from your local county ag department stating
what/where/how much you grow of each item.

ok folks, i have been reading and learning from this site as its very
enjoyable as to what others have going on. My wife and and I own our little
ten acres with a 3800 ft greenhouse in addition to having over 150 beehives.
Additionally i am leasing 12 acres to grow watermelons on,BTW we live in
pahrump, nv 60 m w of las vegas. we have been certified here in Nevada for 3
years. The state sends out an inspector and actually inspects what you are
growing. This year there are new rules as to actual square foot of growth,
harvest seasons and production weights. Say what you will but BIG BROTHER IS
HERE. We do fm's in vegas that are certified by clark county. I do adhere to
the BB tactics but I feel with proper eduction of consumers they are able to
tell the difference in quality. The rules are such that people (produce
vendors from Cal can come here and as long as they have a certificate from a
farmer they can sell. When we first started fm's 3 years ago it was mainly
our honey we were selling. There were 2 other vendors selling honey. Neither
of which could tell clover honey from buckwheat as they had no idea of their
product as they had bought it from a beekeeper buddy (1) was selling at 1/3
my price the other 1/2. Within 3 months one had gone back home the other was
still selling only his produce from another certified farmer. People know
the difference in quality. It is up to us to educate our customers as to
what real produce should taste like. Not BB.

Thank you for your time,
jesse