market-farming - [Market-farming] (no subject)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: DifferentPiper AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:58:15 EST

Hi Matt,
You've got the dimensions about right. As so often happens in life, the
"hops bed" is currently an ornamental ginger garden, since a friend donated a
couple of rhizomes before the hops rhizomes were available. I may give it
another
try at some time in the future. My previous hop growing endeavour yielded
about a gallon ziploc or two of hops, though the varieties tended to get a
little tangled. It's my hope that having the divided beds might at least
avoid
confusion between varieties when/if I put in hops.
I have thought about 12 month gardening, especially in December when I'm
craving a nice Brandywine tomato, but I'm wondering how to balance that with
soil
improvement. Last fall, I covered each of the beds with a 5 gallon bucket of
kelp covered with compost, steer manure and topped with a flake of hay. When
I took the hay off the beds this last weekend, the soil was nice and dark
with
more earthworms per foot than I've ever seen. Your idea of growing lettuce
sounds good, though. I may extend the growing season a bit this year,
particularly since I've just been bitten by the pepper bug, and it seems like
peppers
take a long time to really get going.

Scott

Message: 1