market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: Generators

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Heininger" <cheesechef AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: Generators
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 07:59:30 -0700

We run a certified small artisan goat dairy in rural Arizona USA and are
completely off grid making most of our power from solar and wind sources but
we do use generators for back-up, well pumping etc.

Our first couple of years here we ran through portable generators like they
were single-use, disposable tools. Finally, out of desperation, landed
with a 10kW "portable" from Sears. It's several hundred pounds and we use
our tractor to move it around when necessary but it has worked flawlessly
under less-than-ideal conditions with minor, normal maintenance. This may
be a bigger size than you need but if their big ones are good so, maybe, are
the smaller ones.

David
Black Mesa Ranch
Artisan Goat Cheese Dairy and Fine Candy Kitchen
Northern Arizona, USA
www.BlackMesaRanchOnline.com