market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Selling at 5 markets- dried herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: rjweeks70 AT comcast.net
  • To: mmaysen AT alltel.net
  • Cc: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Selling at 5 markets- dried herbs
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:42:18 +0000

MeLani -

Since we do all of our preserves in a commercial kitchen, I haven't really
asked about the dried herbs. We harvest the herbs at our farm, put them in
the fridge, and on the days we rent space from a friend who runs a
restaurant, we take the herbs along and run them in the dehydrator while we
make preserves.

I would suspect that since California is so militant about ANY food prepared
for human consumption having to be prepared in a commercial kitchen, that
dried herbs probably fall into that category. But I know many market vendors
who sell similar things who do not have them done in a commercial kitchen.

I think it really depends on your locality. California laws are very strict.
I know that other states allow the making of preserves in a home kitchen.

Roger

Message: 4