market-farming - [Market-farming] CHERRY TOMATOES

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] CHERRY TOMATOES
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 08:29:58 EST

In the "headlines" on the aol screen this am is the taste-off on cherry tomatoes.  I think it's only on aol, so I copied it off.  And the winners are:

'SunSugar'
In a tasting by our Garden and Food staff, two orange-skinned varieties ran neck and neck, with 'SunSugar' winning the number one spot. Vigorous, indeterminate (continually growing) plant bears long clusters of crack-resistant orange fruit with rich, full-bodied flavor. 62 days from transplanting seedling to reaching maturity. Resistant to fusarium wilt, tobacco mosaic virus.

'Sun Gold'
A very close second, 'Sun Gold' is a vigorous, indeterminate plant that produces long clusters of orange tomatoes with fruity, sweet flavor. 57 days from seedling to maturity.

'Sugar Snack'
Red-skinned 'Sugar Snack' received high praise as the third-place finisher. Vigorous, indeterminate plant yields lots of fruit with great tomato flavor. 65 days from transplanting seedling to reaching maturity. Resistant to nematodes, tobacco mosaic virus

'Supersweet 100'
This prolific, indeterminate plant bearing juicy, sweet fruit is similar to 'Sweet 100' but resists diseases. 65 days from transplanting seedling to maturity. Resistant to fusarium wilt, verticillium wilt.

'Sweet 100'
Very vigorous, indeterminate plant is a prolific producer of crack-prone fruit with good tomato flavor. 65 to 70 days from transplanting seedling to maturity.

We've grown Sungold for years and everybody loves them, but they do crack (boy, do they crack in the winter tunnel) so I may try Sun Sugar next year to see if they do better.
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm
Texas

  • [Market-farming] CHERRY TOMATOES, Windsoap, 03/13/2004