market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Jumping Into Farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Jumping Into Farming
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:54:14 -0600

Matt and Marj,
All the best to you. I hear your enthusiasm, and remember when I was
in
the same position.

It is indeed exciting to learn about growing vegetables. There isn't
much
that is more exciting, and more basic, here on earth!

Jill Bussiere, Wisconsin

Marj,

My situation is slightly different from yours, in that I have a friend
who's letting me borrow as much land as I want (he has about 10 acres) for
my veggie growing insanity. Up until 6 months ago, if you asked what I
did, I'd tell you "computer programmer". If asked the same question now,
I'd say "vegetable grower". I've wanted to grow stuff for a real long
time and one day I woke up with the notion that I had to grow veggies and
just decided to take the plunge. I'm about as "newbie" as they come. I
have absolutely no idea how to go about doing any of this but that's
actually part of the fun. I'm also only doing as much as I can afford.
At the moment I've got enough area for about 121 beds (each 8x3 ft with a
1ft path). Each bed might have 6-42 plants, depending on what's growing
there.

Plogging along and reading anything I can get my hands on, being able to
ask questions on this mailing list (I found a local supplier of compost,
by the way, $15 per yard -- thanks to everyone for the good advice), and
trying things (sometimes with success, sometimes with failure) is, IMO,
the best way to go. Plus, my point of view is different from most: I'm
not growing veggies in order to make money, I'm making money in order to
grow veggies. Lastly, I don't let doubt interfere with what I know is
what I ought to be doing.

Market gardening is an obsession and even though at the moment I have to
support this addiction by still writing computer software, as soon as I'm
able to earn a livlihood from the dirt, I'm going to dump the software
stuff. The hardest part sofar is getting the seed planting timing correct
so I have continuous production.

So if it makes you feel any better, rest assured that there's at least one
other nut-case market gardener out there who's thinkin' about the same
stuff as you are. Don't worry about failure. Use "failure" as a way to
learn and get better.

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce And Other Fine Authentic Vegetables
Rural Southeast Arizona