market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wasabi

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cyndi Norman <cyndi AT tikvah.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: , cyndi AT tikvah.com
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wasabi
  • Date: 1 Mar 2004 22:34:03 -0000

From: "Trish and Joe Useldinger" <jeusel AT ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:50:32 -0000

You mention a = non food source? Are you to use it in a cosmetic or
such and not as a = condiment?

Yes. There have been some studies showing it works as a natural
preservative (there really are none at the moment, none that work on a
broad range and aren't just antioxidents). But sustainability and sheer
availablity are both vital issues so I thought I would get some info from
growers if I could.

I see that the people now cultivating it dont really have = large
facilities. As this is to regulate demand and price or just a =
logistics issue related to propagation and leangth to maturity I realy =
dont know. As I said before, I am just a no body lurker, looking for a =
niche to enter into for growing a product as a one man operation. =
Wasabi looks like it has potential for a nice upside, unless it is =
turned into an equivilant of the Jojoba or ginseng frenzies of the
past.

If the studies pan out, there may be a great market for wasabi. It should
be certified organic to be used in organic products. I have no idea how
the wasabi root is processed to make the preservative, if the root needs to
be fresh, etc.

There are no magic beans outside of the Jack and the beanstalk story, =
and I will keep up further research until such a time as I am sure that
= I will not be throwing hard earned money into a bad venture.

I'll tell you one venture that you can be fairly sure of making money in.
Certified organic castor bean oil. There is NONE right now and castor bean
oil is used in many natural personal care products including shampoo,
lipstick, lip balm, nail polish remover, and more. There is one grower in
the US and he's in Texas (and uses Round-up). Most castor bean is grown in
India and China, is grown with pesticides and extracted with solvents, and
some of the seed is GE.

I found a = site for bulk foods that sells wasabi powder in bulk, asian
stores sell = powder, I have yet to hear of a fresh source, perhaps the
time is come = to venture into this market? please keep us apprised of
what you find = out! =20

If it's not http://www.freshwasabi.com/ which was already posted, please
let me know so I can pass the info off to the other list I'm on.

Thanks,
Cyndi

Petaluma, California Zone 9 USDA; Zone 15 Sunset Western Garden
Guide
Chemically sensitive/disabled - Organic Gardening only by choice and
neccessity
Cyndi
Norman
Handcrafted organic soaps & cosmetics