market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hours of light

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jim Gage" <jdgage AT hurleycomputers.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hours of light
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:49:04 -0600

I seem to remember from a photo-biology course many, many years ago that the
majority of growth takes place at night. In research growth chambers, I
remember the optimal being plant dependent, but never remember anyone using
more than 16 hours of light - ever. The other piece here, alluded to with
your message, is the nighttime warmth -- warm temps at night encourage rapid
growth, especially in the summer veggies like tomatoes, peppers, melons,
etc. That's why you really need to be careful in your greenhouses, cold
basements, etc -- not just for freeze issues, but growth too.