market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Red Mulch experiences

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Red Mulch experiences
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:27:02 -0500

Has anyone used this red plastic mulch that is suppose to increase tomato production up to 20%. If so what is your experience?

We used it several years ago. We grew tomatoes through it right next to tomatoes growing through regular black mulch. We didn't notice a difference. Maybe we grew the tomatoes -black plastic, red plastic too close together (???) for a difference to be noted.

What we did notice though was the red plastic was hell getting out of the field. It turned real friable and just crumbled into pieces. It was so much work we said "Never again." Maybe they have developed red plastic that holds up better, but I would check first.